Thursday, October 27, 2011

I’m a big believer in: enjoying your job will make you more successful

It all started this past summer as I was working at Windy Acres Nursery Direct, Inc. This job was anything but glamorous and I had A LOT of time to think. While working this summer I was also taking a couple of online classes, one of which was, “The Developing World”. I don’t know about y’all but after learning about all of the poverty in the world, I just can’t forget about it and move on. That’s when the light bulb went off. I knew this is what the Lord needed me to do.
The whole morning until my lunch break I was itching to get to a pen and paper to write all of my ideas down and feel relieved from trying to remember everything. I was also itching to tell Clayton (my husband) to reassure me that I wasn’t crazy-which luckily he did!
So what was my big idea? I wouldn’t say it was really a big idea, more like I had finally found my passion. I knew I wanted to work with a company that supports developing countries and I couldn’t be more excited!
Now that I finally had that feeling of, “YES! This is what I want to do with my life!” I began to think of how I would get my dream job. Was my current degree, recreation management, going to take me there? After some though I came to the conclusion that the recreation program at Brigham Young University-Idaho mainly focuses on outdoor recreation and therapeutic recreation-not so much non-profits.
So what major could get me there? I remembered a few months earlier Clayton telling me that I should check out the communication department. When he said that I immediately put it aside thinking, “Why would I ever do that? I love my major, it’s so fun!” Remembering that got me thinking that maybe communications is where I should be. So I emailed professors asking their opinions and they were super excited and had tons of helpful information. And now I am here- a communication, public relations major- writing this blog to practice for my future career.
I could not be any happier with my career change. I absolutely love being a communication major!

1 comment:

  1. this was such an encouraging post! definitely a new follower! :) blessings!

    http://thelittleblackbookblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete